You’re very welcome to run your hands over the historic building’s cob walls and take yourself back to the days of the drovers but if you’d rather relax in more modern surroundings, feel free to stretch out in the privacy of one of our motel-style cottages.
You can be sure of a comfortable stay, and those million-dollar views come for free!
Tophouse Historic Inn
Tophouse is built of “Cob” in 1887 and remains in excellent condition. It is an experience to stay in a cob house! Miles and i don’t mind telling you about the place and The “The Double Murder ,Suicide ” back in 1894.
Perfect for birthdays, wedding anniversaries and other intimate occasions.
Our rooms are tastefully appointed, with fresh, crisp decor and traditional accents.They are not large rooms but cosy, as they didnot build large rooms back in 1887.
Please note that the special nature of this heritage-listed building means the rooms do not contain en-suite bathrooms.
As hosts Miles and myself ( Helen) also live in Tophouse and have our own Bathroom facilities
- Four guest rooms: two Queens, one double, one twin
- Electric blankets
- Heaters in all rooms
- Bathroom amenities include two brand new bathrooms with a shower in each and separate 2 new toilets .
- The “Smallest Bar ” in NZ and probably the oldest . we both have our Bar licence so have a wine or beer and get a photo
- We are not a restaurant . We do dinners only on request and a week’s notice please . We do a main and a dessert for $40 a head .
- We don’t mind if you use the kitchen in the Guesthouse to make a simple meal or alternatively The Alpine Lodge in Saint Arnaud 7 k’ms away has a restaurant and does pizza to eat there or take away
$150 per couple for the Gold and Blue Rooms which have Queen beds in each per night ,
$150 for the Lavender Room which has 2 Twin beds,
$140 for the Green Room which has a Double bed ,
$120 for a single person per night in the Twin or Double room
.Prices include a Continental breakfast and Miles does a “Yummy ” scrambled egg on toast ,eggs from our own chooks.
We require credit card details when booking and a contactable phone number thanks.
You can cancel free of charge until 7 days before arrival. If you cancel within 7 days of arrival 50% of the total price will be charged.
A “No show” on the night will be charged 100%
Look forward to meeting you!Make a booking
Tophouse Mountain View Cottages
Comfortable and warm, each stand-alone cottage contains 2 bedrooms of one Queen bed and two single beds ( with the exception Cottage 1 has a Bunk bed and a single bed designed for families with 3 children ) For an extra child we have a portable bed you can erect in the lounge. kitchenette, Dining table, Settee.
Every cottage features amazing views of Mount Robert and The Saint Arnaud Ranges.
- Queen bed , x 2 twin beds.
- Bathroom,shower, hand basin and toilet
- Electric blankets , hair dryer
- Electric heaters in bedrooms and living area
- Stove, fridge, microwave ,all crockery, electric jug,cutlery and cookware
- TV with Freeview
- Torches to help guide access between cottages and The Tophouse Historic Inn .
- All bed linen is on the beds and towels for each person
- Portacot available (no charge) for children under 2 years. Please advise if bringing own linen for the cot or if you want us to provide it.
- We have frozen pies and pizzas for sale if you arrive late without food
- Guests are welcome to book in for a continental breakfast ( and scrambled egg) over in the dining room at the Tophouse Historical Inn) at 8:30 am . Cost is $20 per person $15 for children under 12 years .
$135 for 2 people ; $25 per additional person
We require credit card details when booking and contactable phone number thanks.
You can cancel free of charge until 7 days of arrival. If you cancel within 7 days of arrival we will charge 50% of the total amount.
A “No show ” on the night will be charged 100%
If you want to spend more than 1 night to explore The Nelson Lakes give us a call and we are happy to talk to you about the rate.Make a booking